• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shoplifting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

been_duped

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? CA. I work in technical support. I fix PC's. I was tricked into taking something I did not believe belonged to the store. It was a part. Not in a box. Not the whole thing, just a piece of something. There was nothing like it on any of the shelves where it would be kept. I have never stolen anything. If I had seen anything like it on the shelves I would have taken it to one of the store clerks and let them know I found it. I did not take it out of the store box and hide it in my bag. I did not believe it belonged to the store. Just as if someone would have left a sweater in a store and then returned to pick it up, just because it was in the store, did not mean it belonged to the store now. Children and babies drop things in stores and when you go back to pick the items up, the store does not call you a thief.

At the door, they check your items to make sure they did not charge you twice for something you purchased. The girl pointed to the item next to my purse in the basket as she was checking my receipt and I said that I brought it from home only because I figured if I said I found it they would just take it. It was not theirs that is what I honestly felt. I have brought PC parts in myself and have talked to the service desk. I thought that it was broken and whoever brought it in found out that it could not be fixed and just left it.

I feel that they planted this part. When I told them that I had never taken anything and I did not know that they actually planted things for people to take, they said that someone else tried to take it and they just did not have time to put it away. I wonder how many others have been tricked.

The deal is to pay over 900.00, 3 years informal probation and a record now. I was reading what I was required to sign and the last item required my signature stating that I intentionally and knowingly took something that I knew belonged to the store. I could not sign it. I have never been in trouble before. This store set me up. I would have never taken anything that I knew belonged to the store. I was set up and I think it is really wrong that they are setting people up to fail. I don’t know how things go but I just needed to get some kind of advice. Is there anything I can fight for here? Or am I just another statistic of an injustice system? PS there is more to this but kept it as short as possible.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

been_duped said:
What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? CA. I work in technical support. I fix PC's. I was tricked into taking something I did not believe belonged to the store. It was a part. Not in a box. Not the whole thing, just a piece of something. There was nothing like it on any of the shelves where it would be kept. I have never stolen anything. If I had seen anything like it on the shelves I would have taken it to one of the store clerks and let them know I found it. I did not take it out of the store box and hide it in my bag. I did not believe it belonged to the store. Just as if someone would have left a sweater in a store and then returned to pick it up, just because it was in the store, did not mean it belonged to the store now. Children and babies drop things in stores and when you go back to pick the items up, the store does not call you a thief.

At the door, they check your items to make sure they did not charge you twice for something you purchased. The girl pointed to the item next to my purse in the basket as she was checking my receipt and I said that I brought it from home only because I figured if I said I found it they would just take it. It was not theirs that is what I honestly felt. I have brought PC parts in myself and have talked to the service desk. I thought that it was broken and whoever brought it in found out that it could not be fixed and just left it.

I feel that they planted this part. When I told them that I had never taken anything and I did not know that they actually planted things for people to take, they said that someone else tried to take it and they just did not have time to put it away. I wonder how many others have been tricked.

The deal is to pay over 900.00, 3 years informal probation and a record now. I was reading what I was required to sign and the last item required my signature stating that I intentionally and knowingly took something that I knew belonged to the store. I could not sign it. I have never been in trouble before. This store set me up. I would have never taken anything that I knew belonged to the store. I was set up and I think it is really wrong that they are setting people up to fail. I don’t know how things go but I just needed to get some kind of advice. Is there anything I can fight for here? Or am I just another statistic of an injustice system? PS there is more to this but kept it as short as possible.
My response:

One thing is sure, the item wasn't yours. As you were taking the item, you came up with your own "reasoning" and "justification" for your voluntary act of thievery. It didn't matter whose it was, or where it came from, or why it was there. You nonetheless made a conscious decision to take something that wasn't yours.

You fell into a trap - - of your own making.

IAAL

Beth3

You were tricked? I don't think so. You took something that you knew did not belong to you and you got caught. Quit blaming the store - you made the choice.

JETX

Duped: Using your logic, if I happened to drop my wallet in your store and you found it... it would be yours because:
- the store doesn't sell that item.
- it wasn't on any shelf

Further, you compounded your thievery by lying at the door when confronted.

Sorry, your continued lying to yourself and this forum doesn't preclude the fact that you attempted to STEAL something that you knew wasn't yours.

K

kcdogg

You won't be able to convince a judge, jury or da that you were tricked. Put yourself in their shoes and then see if you would believe a story like that. If it was in the store, then the right thing to do would have been to leave it or turn it in to the store manager or clerk.

C

CaliCat

Assume it did belong to somebody who left it behind accidentally, like the sweater example. It still has an owner, and is a lost object. You did not know who owned it or if it was discarded and took it anyway. Maybe the store did plant it-to see if someone would take something not theirs. Point is, in short, it wasn't yours to take and you took it. That's stealing. Plain and simple.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">