• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

2/3 equity in home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Doug Sunn

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? KENTUCKY:

I owned a three bedroom home before this marrage...we aquired another property together during the marriage...about half the value of the orignal home. We settled with her keeping the original home and me taking the smaller property, I also took on the other debts incurred in the marriage. We swapped quit claim deeds, and I immediately re-finaced and removed her name from the mortage on the small property. She did NOT !
Now I find my wages being garnished for her failure to pay a small 2nd mortage on the home. There is 2/3 equity in the home
and I don't want to see all that go down the tube....or have my wages garnished

D

Doug Sunn

reply to 2/3 equity

no, there has not been a forclosure...the guarnishment is on the second morgage...but she is behind on both...

kat1963

I'm not a lawyer, but I would file a motion to show cause asking the judge to force the immediate sale of the home, to have your $$ returned from the equity, court costs, lawyers fees and also to fine her for not complying with the original court order. I'd suggest refinancing, but she's messed her credit up big time, probably won't happen. It's going to take a while to get to court (and I'm not sure what you would file to speed it up) but you are probably going to have to pay the payments unless you want it to go into foreclosure and wind up on your credit report. Another thing you can do is write a letter of explaination to the big 3 credit reporting agencies that will be kept in your file...not much, but it does help a little.
Good Luck!
KAT

D

Doug Sunn

Thank You Kat1963
For The excellent advice... I saw my attorney the a.m. ...and she had the same sollutions...in wich I have followed through.

D.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">