• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

civil judgment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

joe47_no1

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? pennsylvania...i was sued for
2400.00 in 1991. i lived in philadelphia at the time. it involved a
traffic accident. i have not been able to get a drivers license
because i have not paid the judgment. i cannot find any record
of that judgment in municipal court records.how can i get pa
dmv to remove that judgment if it is no longer in force. how long
does the state of pa keep such judgments active? what,if any
are the time limitations for this type of case judgment

P

PSECG

Hi Joseph. Being that I live in Calif, I do understand the differences in the law between states, but I use to work at DMV here in CA, and I would think you first should go to DMV to see what info they have on file, and where it came from.

If you did have an accident, and you went to court, is there a reason why you did not pay the fee? It's pretty hard to get something cleared off your record at DMV, and there is usually a set period of time that incidents remain on your file. I can't remember the time periods, as it's been quite some time since I've worked in this area. Plus, some places attach interest or penalty fees. You may want to avoid getting additional fees attached to what you already owe, and if this happened in 1991, well, you may already have those extra fees added.

I think you should go with my first suggestion. If you do indeed have a judgment against you, I think you should pay it. Your record will show up on any DMV you go to - no matter what State you're in. When you pay the fee, if you do, take a copy to DMV and they will post a notice that you paid the judgment. It may take about 6 weeks to process.

Carlotta

Last edited:

JETX

Q1) "i was sued for 2400.00 in 1991. i lived in philadelphia at the time. it involved a traffic accident. i have not been able to get a drivers license because i have not paid the judgment. i cannot find any record of that judgment in municipal court records."
A1) The judgment may not be in Municipal court. It could have been rendered in District or Common Pleas courts.

Q2) "how can i get pa dmv to remove that judgment if it is no longer in force."
A2) It is possible that the DMV would retain the restriction even after the judgment has expired (if it has). I suggest you contact the DMV and ask them about your license status and when it might be resolved.

Q3) "how long does the state of pa keep such judgments active?what,if any are the time limitations for this type of case judgment"
A3) A PA judgment is valid for:
Domestic Judgment: 5 years (writ of revival within 5 yrs.)
So, it is possible that the judgment is still valid.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">