• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unauthorized check card charge

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

collegeguy

What is the name of your state? Washington DC

This may be in the wrong area, but I just need a little input. I was kicked out of a bar in my area because I refused to give a rude waitress a tip. That point aside, I had given her my check card to buy a couple drinks, and before I recieved the slip to sign, I got into an argument with the waitress. She took back the drinks, and gave me back my card. The manager assured me that the charge was voided, but looking at statement, not only was the charge not voided, but was charged up signifigantly more (someone obviously gave themselves a healthy tip and signed my name). This can't be legal? What are my options besides going to the better business bureau? Could they make the claim that I am lying and show a falsified signature on the slip? The good thing is I do have quite a few friends to back up my claim. Thanks for input

Christian

FarmerJ

Your card company should do a chargeback with no problem From what my bank tells me If they run into enough chargebacks from one particular party presenting for payment the banks legal dept deals with it . (now this is only what the bank tells me ) now of course you can tell ALL your friends to not permit the server to take the card in that bar if they go there and to walk with server up to register and witness what the server does during the transaction. To prevent inaccurate charges from being presented to your friends cards .

crleslie

Hi,
I had a similar thing happen to me at a pizza place: the cashier charged me for the purchase as normal, but then did a seperate charge for $20 which I hadn't authorized and didn't know about until I got record of my transactions. All I had to do was call up my bank where the check card was issued, let them know what happened, and they sent me a statement to sign with an explaination of what happened. They refunded my money and investigated the rest. Sounds a little involved in retrospect for my $20, but its the principle! Good luck!

S

southernponyboy

This also happened to me when I paid a utility bill with my check card. The utility company took out the correct amount then turned around and took out another payment. When I disputed the charge to my bank they investigated the claim and eventually put the $$$ back into my account. It took over a month, but it was for a kinda large amount (180.00$).

I think you should go & talk with someone at the bank & see what they tell you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">