• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How can I play drums without being bothered by cops?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

KyleW

What is the name of your state? CA

Okay, I play drums in a band. I need to practice in my house, because I have no where else to practice. Recetly a neighbor called the cops on me for being too loud. The cop said that all I had to do was close the garage door (thats where I was playing at was in the garage). How can I play so I wouldn't be at the mercy of how nice my neighbors decide to be. Obviously there would still be noise, but does this mean I can never play drums again??

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, it means you need to close the garage door. Or practice somewhere (the basement? your bedroom?) where your drums will not disturb the neighbors. And, of course, watch WHEN you play. No midnight practicing.

M

michael parks

Well MY BOY.....you need MONEY........and FAST!!!

First you have to soundproof the garage, you need to BUY insulation and install it and then put acousitc foam panels on the walls to block the sound, then you need to BUY an air conditioner since it will get real hot in there real fast, since the garage door has to be closed.

Figure at least $1000 to be on the safe side. You can check in the yellow pages for audio video companies and see where they get the soundproofing materials.

Figure its just a cost of being a potential rock star and to be nice to your neighbors.

Beth3

Kyle - you might also ask your neighbors if there's a time when you can play in the garage when they won't mind.

Absent that, then you either need to close the door or play inside your house - or have your parents, spouse, or roommate shoo'd you out to the garage because the noise bothers them too?

HomeGuru

Sound proof your bedroom, rent out a practice room in town, buy practice pads, buy an electronic drum set that you can plug headphones in ie. Roland, Yamaha......C'mon, there are more ways to swing in 4/4.

signed,

Phil Collins

K

knorris

Practice Pads

My husband and my daughter both play the drums and the best thing we have found to solve this problem is practic pads. you can buy a full set for around $150.00 dollars and they work great and don't bother anyone in the house or any of our neighbors. you should also talk to your neighbors and ask them when would be a good time that you could practice and not desturb them. you can get practice pads at any music store and we found the best price by ordering out of a musican magazine. good luck Kathie

L

LOUIELOUIE

My son is a trumpet player the area college lets him use thier practice rooms.

Beth3

Bad boys, bad boys. Whatcha gonna do when they come for you. Bad boys, bad boys.

Excellent suggestion, IAAL. :)

And somewhere in the basement, I know I still have that Iron Butterfly album...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">