• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bigamy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Sylvia Mendoza

What is the name of your state? Arizona

My friend (honest!)filed for divorce on 5/11/01 and the divorce was not finalized until 5/31/02. Recently, she discovered that her ex-husband remarried on 5/20/01. Due to the fact that the divorce was not yet legal and he married someone 9 days after the initial filing, does that makes his current marriage illegal? Is he guilty of bigamy?

HomeGuru

Sylvia Mendoza said:
What is the name of your state? Arizona

My friend (honest!)filed for divorce on 5/11/01 and the divorce was not finalized until 5/31/02. Recently, she discovered that her ex-husband remarried on 5/20/01. Due to the fact that the divorce was not yet legal and he married someone 9 days after the initial filing, does that makes his current marriage illegal? Is he guilty of bigamy?
**A: what difference does it really make?

M

melissa200

First of all, for the previous person, what do you mean does it really matter? Of course it does.

I am sorry I can't help you with your question because I am having the same problem myself. My husband(?) and I got married on June 1 and he received his final divorce paper from the court on July 18th. He had signed the paper back in 2001 and given it to her. She just got married, too, about 3 months ago, so I guess she didn't send in the paper until she wanted to get married. Her marriage occured before the July 18th date also. Help up, please! Do we need to remarry?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">