• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

need help collecting money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

adamgram

What is the name of your state?
Pennsylvania

I recently sold my car to a person who lives on my street. She agreed to pay $1500, but could not give me the last $200 untill her next paycheck. Before transfering the title, she asked if I would agree to tell the notary that the price of the car was $500 because she couldn't afford to pay taxes on the full amount. Considering that this woman is my neighbor and I thought I could trust her, I agreed to do this. After 2 months of trying to collect the rest of my money, she has finally told me that since we didn't have anything in writing, she is not paying me any more for the car. I thought I might have a chance in small claims court because the check she wrote me was for $1300, not $500, so she cannot claim that the agreed upon price was what was put on the title. Is winning this case a possibility? Is there any way I could get in trouble for putting a different price on the title? I would be willing to spend up to $200 to collect the money even though I would only break even, because I am offended that she backed out on her end of the bargain and I would rather collect as a matter of principle than let her scam me out of my money. Would I be able to find a lawyer for under $200? If I win, would she pay my court fees? Any information regarding what I should do about this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

The courts will not help someone who comes into court with "unclean hands."

I understand that it gets really cold in PA during the winter, and that some PA residents own ice picks.

Hey, you know . . . those are some beautiful tires on that car. Have you ever noticed how nice those tires are?

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">