• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex-husband default on car loan car got repo!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

trobin

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? Indiana

I was joint on car loan with ex-husband and in our divorce he agree to keep car and make payments and get my name off asap. He was never able to do that because of his credit the car was repo on July 30, 2002 and now the loan company is calling me stating that i am fully responsible for car because i am the primary borrow.

What can I do?

ellencee

If you do a search for your question on this site, I believe you will find that I am correctly re-stating previous opinions from the experts in this matter:

You are liable for the debt and will suffer the repo being reported on your credit along with all the past due reports.

If the divorce decree orders him to have made payments on the car, or if there is a written contract between him and you, then you can sue him for the debt in small claims court providing the balance is within small claims court limits; if it is over the SCC limit, then you will have to sue him in Superior Court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">