• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please Help Me, I Am Freaking Out!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

evsmama

What is the name of your state? California
my grandmother gave me permission to open a credit card in her name (i have no credit) and i did it over the internet, i used the card and everything was fine, but then i applied for more(which most she knew about, some she didn't, but i didn't use those ones) and the credit card companies started calling her and scaring her saying that she owed so much money and she was liable for it all, she got scared (she's 80 yrs. old) and she told all the companies that called her that she never opened any accounts with anyone, and now they are calling me saying i fraudulently opened accounts and stole her identity, so now all the accounts have been closed and i'm scared i'm going to jail!!!! what do i do??? those jerks are so mean to me when they call, not to mention i have been making all of the payments on the accounts, which i told my grandmother i would, so now do i have to pay them if the accounts were "fraudulently opened", will i go to jail, or will the cc companies just put this on someones credit report????? HELP!!! (by the way, total owed is around $17,000, if that makes a difference?!"

Beth3

If you were making all the payments on the accounts, they wouldn't be calling your grandmother.

You had no business opening up all these credit card accounts in your grandmother's name for your use. Sorry but I don't buy your story that she knew all about them and I sure don't believe she authorized you to charge $17,000 in her name either. You have put your 80 year old grandmother in a difficult and frightening sitiuation.

I suggest you contact these companies and work out a repayment plan immediately. If they want to report you for credit card fraud they can. If that happens, you'll need to seek legal representation.

By the way - destroy ALL the credit cards immediately. If you keep charging on them or open up more, you're just going to be digging yourself a bigger hole.

K

knorris

evsmama said:
What is the name of your state? California
my grandmother gave me permission to open a credit card in her name (i have no credit) and i did it over the internet, i used the card and everything was fine, but then i applied for more(which most she knew about, some she didn't, but i didn't use those ones) and the credit card companies started calling her and scaring her saying that she owed so much money and she was liable for it all, she got scared (she's 80 yrs. old) and she told all the companies that called her that she never opened any accounts with anyone, and now they are calling me saying i fraudulently opened accounts and stole her identity, so now all the accounts have been closed and i'm scared i'm going to jail!!!! what do i do??? those jerks are so mean to me when they call, not to mention i have been making all of the payments on the accounts, which i told my grandmother i would, so now do i have to pay them if the accounts were "fraudulently opened", will i go to jail, or will the cc companies just put this on someones credit report????? HELP!!! (by the way, total owed is around $17,000, if that makes a difference?!"
why do you think that you wouldn't have to pay back the debts you have created ? you stated that you only had your grandmothers permission to get the first card. and that you applied for more ''which most she knew about'' and now their telling you that you obtained these fraudulentley and because of that you now feel that you shouln't have to pay them back. you admit that your grandmother didn't know that you had gotten all of the card's so that means you did get them fraudulentley. regaurdless you still must pay the debt or would you leave it for your 80 year old grandmother to do. and I also agree with beth that if your were making the payments then there would have been no reason for anyone to call your grandmother. ''those jerks are so mean when they call'' don't you consider it mean that you would put this burden on your grandmother ? Kathie

SHAME ON YOU!!!

You should be freaking out!!!

Now you know how your grandmother feels...

Preying on the elderly! YOUR OWN 80 yo G-Ma
Sure she said yes granddaughter?
Does she know what day it is?
Who the president of the U.S. is?

Your username indicates you're a role model.
How sad.....

Only advice to give is.........
Continue freaking out, you deserve it.

H

hellokitty

i would say work out a payment plan pronto and let that be your lesson to not do that again. you may even need to take up an extra job to hurry and pay this off. then in the mean time dont sign up with any cc companys in your name or hers and try to pay all your normal bills ontime to attempt to build up your own credit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">