• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

allocation of marrital debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

forestlady

What is the name of your state? Ohio. I have been married for 18 years (first marriage for both) and am considering a divorce but need some answers about debt. The only items I am signed on are 1st and 2nd mortgages and an IRS tax bill. My husband has three business credit accounts which are only in his name with substantial debt accrued. I have two credit accounts in my name only with no debt outstanding. Am I legally responsible for the credit debt my husband has accrued during the marriage even though my name is not at all associated with the cards and they are used for his business expenses and occasionally for household or personal purchases? I have been unable to work outside the home since 1988 due to a series of orthopaedic sports injuries which have become chronically disabling but are not (as far as I know) allowable for disability of any kind. I will not be eligible for Social Security for 14 years yet and only worked 14 years at a low income job before the injuries so will have a very small monthly payment. We have minimal assets and I will have to re-educate myself, if affordable, to be able to work at something I can manage physically. He has used the debt issue to frighten me due to the fact that I have no income and am completely dependent.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">