• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Police accusing me of Mailbox bombings I dont know about! Help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

David1265

I live in Lincoln, Nebraska. Here's what happend.

One of my friends had M80s at a party i was at. I guess one of them decided to blow up a mailbox in the kids neighborhood. Then i drove by the scene becuase it was the quickest way to get where i was going right after they blew it up and they wrote down my plates. (I was on my way to a gas station so some girls could follow me to the party. Remember, i had no idea any of this mailbox stuff happend until today which was a while after the acutal event) Then I drove by again when the cop was parked side ways in the street, blocking off trafic, and they matched my plates. So now they called me a liar when I told them I didnt know what they were talking about. Here's why I think I'm in trouble though...

First they asked me what i did monday (which was the night the mailbox got blown up) before they even told me my car was spoted at the scene. And i accidentally told them what I did Sunday by mistake. (I go out every night pretty much, so I wasnt sure) I said i was pretty sure thats what i did on monday. Then they said "pretty sure? Are you positive?" I said i was positive because i thought that was the truth and was trying to be cooperative. I told them I was never in the area by the party becuase I thought i wasn't. (but they got my plates that night from where the incident took place). Then they told me I was lying (which i was but didnt know) I changed my story of what I did on monday night after remembering the car parked side ways in the street and them telling it that was on monday," i didnt know that was on monday though!", i told them. They called me a liar and said they were going to give their findings to someone and they would determine weather or not I was going to jail and could arrest me on monday!!! I'm really freaking out. Also when they were talking to me they said i was lying becuase I kept looking at the ground ( i didnt know that! I was intimidated by the officer, never talked to one like that before before) I'm only 18 and im losing sleep over this, so if anybody would be kind enough to help me id really appreciate it!

Beth3

Well, you did lie to the police, didn't you - you told them you didn't know anything about it. One of your friends had some M80's at a party and then surprise, surprise, somebody's mailbox in the neighborhood blew up.

Right now it appears you're a suspect. If you want off the hot seat, then tell them the truth.

D

David1265

Ok, you dont understand what im trying to tell you. I didnt know anyone had M80s until the police officers told me thats what was used to blow up the mailboxes. I don't even know if it was one of my friends that blew it up, i just remember hearing that a person who was there used to have some. Nobody mentioned anything other than why in the hell is there an undercover cop car parked side ways in the street. I wouldnt doubt if it was an entirely different group of kids that did this. This is the third thing the cops have accused me off in the last two days, im getting really sick of them.

Beth3

Nope - I didn't understand. From your original post it sounded as though you knew at the party one of your friends had the explosives.

It is unlikely that you will be charged with a crime solely on the basis that your car was seen in the area - that's not evidence that you committed the crime. They certainly have reason to question you based on that though.

I don't think you have any options but to wait and see what happens.

K

knorris

you did say it.........................

David1265 said:
I live in Lincoln, Nebraska. Here's what happend.

One of my friends had M80s at a party i was at. I guess one of them decided to blow up a mailbox in the kids neighborhood.

you clearly said that one of your freinds had M80s and that one of them decided to blow up a mailbox. even of you weren't actually involved with what happen. it appears that you know who did do this childish act. and if it were me and the police were accusing me of something I didn't do but I knew who did. I would not hesitate to give the name of my ''FREIND'' to save my own azz. Kathie

D

David1265

I meant to say that a person blew up the mailbox, i didnt know it was a firecracker until the police told my dad, who told me after they left. I also just found out today that they searched my tires for shrapnel with a metal detector, but ofcourse they didnt find anything becuase i don't know what they're talking about!

K

knorris

Confused ???

You sound so counfused no wounder you can't keep your storey straight.

D

David1265

I had quite a few drinks that night so it was a blur. They didn't ask me if I drank that night so I didn't tell.

Beth3

David, there's an old saying that goes something like "If you lay down with dogs, you can expect to get up with fleas."

As it's very unlikely you're going to be charged with this crime as there apparently is no evidence to support your involvement, you may wish to look at this brush with the law as a learning experience.

It appears you need to select your friends and who you associate with more carefully. And drinking to the point that the evening is a blur is, shall we say, a poor idea. You can't even clearly remember what happened that night which isn't going to help you out with the police very much AND it appears you may have been driving under the influence as well.

Your evening could have turned out a whole lot worse than it did. Consider yourself lucky.

D

David1265

Yeah, I know better than to do any of the stupid stuff they do. So do a lot of my friends that occasionaly hang out with them. If they did do this, its pretty sad that they are making me go through all this trouble by not telling me they were going to blow up a freaking mailbox. I dont understand why someone would want to blow up a persons mailbox anyways, its like something an 8th grader would do! I wasnt driving around drunk, but once I got back from getting the girls and driving by the scene I had quite few.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">