• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

filing for divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

poncho350

california

I filed for divorce in California, my spouse lives in Illinois, I filed in February and she was served on the first of March. This week I recieved papers from her sayin she filed in Illinois. What will the courts use?? My case in California, since I filed first or hers in Illinois??

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

poncho350 said:
california

I filed for divorce in California, my spouse lives in Illinois, I filed in February and she was served on the first of March. This week I recieved papers from her sayin she filed in Illinois. What will the courts use?? My case in California, since I filed first or hers in Illinois??
My response:

So, she thought she'd be a smarty pants and try to keep things in her "home court", huh?

Well, she's sadly mistaken, and has wasted her money. Since your filing date pre-dates her filing date, all you have to do is write, serve and file an objection to the Illinois jurisdiction based upon your attached copies of your California filing that you're going to send to the Illinois court.

The Illinois court will dismiss her filing.

You'll be seeing her in California, IF she chooses to defend.

Good luck to you, and start writing your Motion to Dismiss A.S.A.P.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">