• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Product caused damage to engine...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jiggle_racing

What is the name of your state? CA

I installed new clutch plates in my off-road ATV vehicle. The product is specificaly made for my vehicle. The clutch fibers were made of kevlar or carbon fiber. Within less than 10 hours of use the plates wore and the "sand like" material contaminated my oil and destroyed my motor.

The 10 hours of use was over a few weekends of riding. When the motor failed I removed the motor parts and had an engine builder rebuild them. The cost was $1,500 and we initially could not figure out what the cause was.

We could not determine the cause of the breakdown. Initially we thought dirt got sucked into the motor via the intake but the intake/air filter/carburator were all clean and functioning perfectly.

We guessed that the contaminated oil was due to draining it into an already dirty container or by picking up dirt as it poured out of the drain plugs past a drity frame or skid plate.

Our second guess was some sort of piston ring or valve issue but nothing could be confirmed.

We were stumped.

I did internet searches and eventually found numerous posts on off-road and atv forums proclaiming this particular brand of product as an instant motor killer!!

I am sure the clutch plates contaminated my oil and ruined my motor.

I called the company inquiring about potential hazards of this product and I was assured their product was safe but felt I was getting "cover your ass" dialogue.

What should I do? I am extremely angry that this product advertised as being superior in quality destroyed my motor and cost me $$. Others will have the same problems by using this product.

HELP....thank you in advance.

JR

Last edited:

JETX

Some key questions before you spend the money and time pursuing this:

1) Where is the manufacturer or supplier located? Jurisdictional issues could be a MAJOR concern.

2) How do you propose to PROVE that this product caused your damage (I am sure the defendant will raise the same 'contaminant sources' as you noted)?

3) Do you have a qualified 'expert' who is willing to testify as to the likelihood that this product WAS the cause of the failure??

J

jiggle_racing

Thank you Halket,
Yes I have considered your points. That is why I made this post. This company IS in CA.
Yes I have at least 3 experts that would back this up.

After the engine break down I rebuilt the motor and changed the oil and filter twice for the break-in procedure. I have only run the NEW motor for 2 tanks of fuel.

I had the clutch fibers still in the atv with the new motor! I did not learn that the fibers are "engine killers" until 2 days ago. I hope my new motor is ok. I immediatly removed the clutch plates and am saving them.

When a clutch wears (which they do) the material is captured in the oil. I change my oil after every weekend of riding (100 miles) and the clutch manufacturer recommended every 1000 miles.

It is logical to me now that having clutch material such as kevlar or carbon fiber in the oil in any amount would cause damage to the valve guides, cylinder wall, piston wrings, cam, bearings, and gears immediatly.

The manufacturer claimed verbaly and in writing on their web site that the contaminants will not cause damage and I disagree.

www.barnettclutches.com

here is some dialogue...

http://forums.atvconnection.com/messageview.cfm?catid=13&threadid=310778

Thanks for any advise you may have. I realy appreciate it.

JR

Last edited:
J

jiggle_racing

I have now learned that there is an internal oil screen that may still have clutch plate contaminents lodged in it. It will take me hours and hours to take apart the motor to get the proof.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">