• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Annulment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

why2ks

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? new mexico
i was the first of three wives of my ex-husband. we have a son, who is now 32 years old. my ex is planning to become a catholic and marry his fourth wife in the catholic church. in order to do this, he must annul all three of his previous church marriages. my son tells me i will be contacted by a priest regarding an annulment. my question is, if i agree to this, am i disinheriting my son from anything he might be entitled to upon his father's death? would i, in effect, be illegitimizing my totally legitimate son? my ex has no other children and it is unlikely that this marriage will produce any.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

why2ks said:
What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? new mexico
i was the first of three wives of my ex-husband. we have a son, who is now 32 years old. my ex is planning to become a catholic and marry his fourth wife in the catholic church. in order to do this, he must annul all three of his previous church marriages. my son tells me i will be contacted by a priest regarding an annulment. my question is, if i agree to this, am i disinheriting my son from anything he might be entitled to upon his father's death? would i, in effect, be illegitimizing my totally legitimate son? my ex has no other children and it is unlikely that this marriage will produce any.

My response:

No, you're not going to "illegitimize" your son. What you and your ex-husband do in the Church, or by any religious means, has nothing whatever to do with Civil law. Your son will always be his son in the eyes of the law. Your son will always be able to "take" of his father's Estate. Remember, our Federal Constitution has a "Separation of Church and State" clause - - remember that? You learned it in school.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">