• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

step parent adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

ldrogers

What is the name of your state? california
my husband and i have been married for 10 years and he has been the only father my son from a previous relationship has known since he was 2 yrs old. my son's BIO father has been in prison since 1991 and was paroled about 1 yr. ago. he was put in prison because he molested my oldest daughter now 20. then 9 yrs. old. My son now 13 yrs old wants nothing to do with him and gets very upset if someone even suggest that my husband is not his one and only father. my son has used my husbands last name for the last 8 yrs. for everything because when my purse was stolen several years ago and i had to get new social security cards for me and the kids i noticed on the form they have you fill out that under the question "Name on Card you requesting" there was the question "Name you want on new card and associated with currant ssn #" . all I had to do was provide proof that a different last name other than my sons birth name had been used to register him in school and that was it! so my son has had no contact what so ever with the BIO dad in the last 9 yrs. has gone by my husbands last name for the last 8 yrs. i have never recieved child support during the last 9 years. my son is 13 yrs. old wants nothing to do with the BIO. The BIO is a confessed convicted child molester who's victim was my son's older half sister. and my husband wants to adopt my son. My Question is...if the BIO dad contest the adoption do we have enough history or lack of contact for the judge to terminate his parental rights and allow the adoption? Any help or information at all will be greatly appreciated.

Seanscott

After 10 years of marriage, and a teenage boy who wants the adoption, I don't think any judge will break up a happy home for a convicted sex offender.

The court will do whatever is in the child's best interest. It's obvious your son belongs with you & your husband - 100%.

Personally, I can't imagine the biodad putting up much of a fight. It takes effort & money. But if he does contest the adoption, he really has no defense to explain his lack of interest in your son.

You have a very strong case. The biodad has no case at all. This should be an easy adoption.

Good luck & best wishes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">