• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small Claims filing?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tenrsingr

What is the name of your state? GA

In trying to get financing on a house my credit report showed up a tax execution for my ex-wife. I had to pay the amount $750 before I could get financing. From the records I received from the dept of revenue, she was the one the records had for owing the money and sending a bad check. She refuses to pay me back. I am not sure why this was attached to my SSN, but it did. Should I not get back the $750 + court fees? Is this a Small Claims Court proceedure? Thanks

racer72

Were you at anytime an owner of the property in question? There is a reason the tax lien was placed against you.

T

tenrsingr

It was not property, this was for state taxes. If I remember correctly we filed seperate.

JETX

Since you don't know the source of this debt, I would suggest you try to find out (contact the taxing agency).

Then, if the debt is solely your ex's, take her to court to get a judgment against her. One question that you have to consider.... will you be able to collect if you were to get a judgment??

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">