• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

out of state claim

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

strohlein

california.
i want to file a claim against a company that is in Florida. Is this possible? I was told that I'd have to go through the superior court to do this. i don't believe it. what do i need to do?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

strohlein said:
california.
i want to file a claim against a company that is in Florida. Is this possible? I was told that I'd have to go through the superior court to do this. i don't believe it. what do i need to do?

My response:

I just LOVE vague and overbroad questions like, "What do I need to do?" In essence, you're asking, "Will you teach me law and procedure?"

Well, since we're not going to teach you "law and procedure", your next best bet would be to go to Barnes & Noble Booksellers bookstore, and go into their "Legal" section to buy a book on Small Claims court.

Read it carefully.

IAAL

S

strohlein

well, i am always liable, you didn't need to be such an ******* about it. i'm just getting the runaround and was looking to see if it's true that i can't file an out of state claim. thanks for being so rude. have a good day. :(

racer72

strohlein, you want an answer to your question, give us something to answer. Your question is broad and almost impossible to answer. But you get in a huff because you don't like the broad and almost impossible answer you received. You might have supplied more info such as is the company doing business in your state, was your business done through the mail, why do you want to make a claim, etc. If you want a complete answer, give a complete question.

S

strohlein

i purchased a condo reservation for a week in hawaii. the place that i got wasn't where they told me it would be. it was in a remote part of the island where the closest market was a 30 minute drive and the nearest town was 90 miles away. i stayed where i was for 4 nights, but wanted to stay in town for the rest of the week. they wouldn't refund my money for the remainder so i was forced too pay for another hotel which was $200. i want my $200 back in addition to the expense of gasoline and travel time. it's a small claims matter, but i've been told that i can't file against a company that's not in my state. they're in florida, i'm in california. i was trying to be brief in my question so as not to go on and on. i am just looking to see if it's true that i can't file an out of state claim. i wasn't meaning to be huffy, i just didn't appreciate the condescending tone of "i am always liable's" response. thank you for any help.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

strohlein said:
i just didn't appreciate the condescending tone of "i am always liable's" response. thank you for any help.

My response:

. . . but, it's okay for you to ask, "Please put me through law school" with such a vague question. There are too many twists and turns to answer such an ambiguous question. We are not going to teach you about "jurisdiction", or "minimum contacts" or "service of process" or a whole host of other legal theories you'll need to know and understand. It's just too much to do on a bulletin board.

Okay, then don't buy a book on the subject. Just keep asking inane, overbroad and vague questions.

IAAL

Last edited:
S

strohlein

How is a question such as, "is it true that i can't file an out of state small claims case" vague and inane? I'm not asking anyone to put me through law school. I'm just looking for an answer to a simple question. I'm not an idiot. I'm a surgeon with not much time on my hands.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

strohlein said:
How is a question such as, "is it true that i can't file an out of state small claims case" vague and inane? I'm not asking anyone to put me through law school. I'm just looking for an answer to a simple question. I'm not an idiot. I'm a surgeon with not much time on my hands.

My response:

Okay, doctor, you're an intelligent person. I'll give you that.

But, at the same time, to merely give you a "yes or no" answer depends upon the exact nature of your case, and the documents involved; e.g., in the contract you signed, is there a "jurisdiction" clause?

You have no idea how vague your questions really are, and I'm trying desperately to give you the best information that I can with the little bit of information you have given. Pages and pages and pages have been written on the subjects I have mentioned, and it's up to you to read and compare your situation and documents with what the book will tell you.

So, for the third and final time, buy the book you'll need.

IAAL

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My further response:

In the meantime, my wife has a pain in her low back. I need to know what I need to do in order to relieve her pain.

You see doctor, I've asked you a vague and ambiguous question, that would require too many questions on your part to ask to determine what is going on, and a complete education in medicine and surgical procedures.

You did the same thing to me.

IAAL

S

strohlein

I guess I would have appreciated a kinder answer such as, "Could you give me details about your case so I could answer it better for you?"

I'm done, I hope you wife's "lower" back feels better.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">