• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mail fraud?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hellokitty

What is the name of your state? Oklahoma

I signed up with stamps.com probably four times over the last four years. most of those times were because i got my computer upgraded etc, and lost the password so i signed up with a new account. today i get this letter:

We have been monitoring the activity on your accounts for some time
now, and have determined that your use of our promotional offer and trial
period is abusive in nature. As stipulated in our Terms & Conditions
of use, the promotional offer is a one-time offer only. This
information can be viewed by going to: http://www.stamps.com/postage/conditions

We are investigating whether this misuse of our promotional offer
constitutes Mail Fraud. Under no circumstances are you to create another
account with us. You will be sent an invoice within the next few weeks
so that you have the opportunity to pay for the service fees and postage
you've used on each account you've had (excluding the first account).

Sincerely,

Account Manager
Stamps.com

------------------------

so is this really mail fraud or just a ploy to get back at me for using the promotional postage? There is never anything said about additional fees and there was never a problem signing up again. i always used my own name and same address each time, so that should prove im not trying to hide anything. I havent used them in four or five months and now this! any help would be appreciated.

A

a neighbor

I think their trying to use paragraph 5, scheming and trying to defraud the postal service out of revenue. Why don't you just explain your situation and offer to pay whatever postage they say you've used? Also, do they have any way of knowing the postage was used for ebay? Meaning you profited off of the free stuff???

H

hellokitty

they wont know some of the postage was for ebay unless they check ebay names and address. so i dont think they will find that out. stamps.com does have a log where it shows who you printed to and for how much. i have been reading they are doing this to other people. I simply overlooked the one account rule. my fault i suppose but they certainly dont stop you from getting another one (I.e. i used the same address and phone number when i did resign) i think they are trying to scare me more than anything. i dont think that exactly qualifies as mail fraud? i hope everything works out. thanks for the reply.

A

a neighbor

It does if you look up the USPS codes, that's why they put the language in there about "defrauding the postal service out of revenue." That is a crime, and that's what the letter looks as tho it's saying, or they will try an investigate it. In most cases they just send a watch dog out to watch your mail. And their terms say over-n-over, one per customer.

I figured if you were using postage to write to a dying grandmother in a ol' folks home, it would certainly look better than using the postage for ebay (as they are probably thinking you stole from them, and making profit.) If you don't think they can track, think again. How do you think they keep getting all these sellers that reverse priority boxes, and ship media (defrauding govt out of revenue?)

hmmm, I would certainly give my side of the story, offer to pay or give anything back, but, I would do it in writing, return receipt requested.

I'm not raising cane with you, just telling you what their view of it is. PS... I know you thru ebay, LOL

H

hellokitty

well i explained my side of the story. not sure if it will do any good. I also offered to pay for anything i owe. we will see whats next.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">