• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

search of my home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MandyAnnP

What is the name of your state? Indiana
My son is almost 19. He doesn't live with me and hasn't for some time now. I refuse to let him live with me because he can't stay out of trouble. Last week the police department in my city called my house looking for him and his girlfriend. I told them I had no idea where he was and he did not live in my home. Yesterday the sheriffs dept came to my home while I was at work. My 14 year old daughter was home alone. They did not have a search warrant and did not notify me. They proceeded to tell her they were going to search the house looking for my son because they had a felony warrant for theft on him. They also told her that if she knew where he was they better tell her because if they found him driving around they would pull him over with their guns drawn and he might get shot. She was absolutely scared to death. My question is did they have a right to do this when I had already told them he didn't live there and can they do that when only a minor child is at home without notifying me? This was very traumatic for my daughter. Thank you for your response.

racer72

Did you tell the police where he was? They hear that same story over and over but guess where they usually find Junior? Yep, at the house they called. Because you left your 14 year old daughter at home alone, you also gave her the authority to allow others to enter when you are not home. The officers methods may have been on the harsh side, but nothing illegal happened.

M

MandyAnnP

racer72 said:
Did you tell the police where he was? They hear that same story over and over but guess where they usually find Junior? Yep, at the house they called. Because you left your 14 year old daughter at home alone, you also gave her the authority to allow others to enter when you are not home. The officers methods may have been on the harsh side, but nothing illegal happened.
I told them I did not know where he was which is the truth. I told them that I threw him out of my home because he had drugs in his room and I don't approve of that especially since I have other young children at home. I still don't know where he is and until he gets his life together I don't want to know. I still don't understand how they can do this without a search warrant and my 14 year old daughter didn't give them permission. They didn't ask for it. They just told her they were going to search the house and just came in.

Bravo8

The police can enter your home to serve an arrest warrant if they have probable cause to believe your son was at the residence. Maybe they had what was deemed to be reliable information that he was present at your house. Maybe they over-stepped their bounds. Instead of asking here, why not contact the administration of the department and find out?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">