• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fired 4 pregnancy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

c.marie

After being hired 9 months ago part-time, I found out I was pregnant. This did not seem to be a problem for my employers until about two months ago.
I noticed a drastic change in my hours. I kept asking for an increase but due to the business being slow, they told me that I would have to wait for business to pick up.
Business did start to pick up, but my hours did not. I went from having 20-25 hours to 4-8 in a week. My work told me not to even come in on the one day I was scheduled. On a Saturday, the busiest day of the week.
My doctor said that I should take a leave at this point after having some early signs of labor, to rest.
When I told my boss, a few days later I recieved a termination letter.
It states that because on "casual part-time" that I am not entitled to a medical leave so they had let me go but may be considered for re-hire when I want to come back. My boss made it clear to me that he did not want be back do to some differences.
I don't know if what they did was "okay" and I wasn't hired for "casual part-time". Please tell me if I should consult an attorney.

E

Ex Hr Guy

See an attorney -- it sure sounds as if they reduced your hours becaus eof pregnancy and that is just illegal. Check out lawyers on AttorneyPages.com as most of them provide a free initial consultation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">