• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Custody.. sumone puleaze help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

AmberLeigh

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? West Virginia
Ill be 16 next month.. And i recently decided i wanted to live with my Mother who lives in Tallahasse Florida, but my dad has full custody of me. He's not going to willingly let me go and my mother is getting an attorney now. I thought once I was a teenager I could choose but my family up here is saying otherwise. My father knows im miserabe but is still willing to go to court and do everything in his power to keep me here. Can he really do that? Keep me from living with my mother. I just have so many reasons to leave from My stepmom grabbing me by the hair to kicking a hole in my bedroom door. I just dont know that once we get to court they will take all this into consideration. Is there anyway i can live with my mother without my dad keeping me here? Do i even have a chance? I cant ask anyone up here b/c they keep lieing to me. I know im young but i obviously can't count on anyone to tell me the truth. It's been 3 weeks since i've even talked with my dad or Stepmom, and he just told me today to tell my mom there's no way im leaving, but im willing to pursue it either way b/c it's what i really want.. I just need to know if there's anyway it can be made possible.. thank you so much

kat1963

Well, just what your mother is doing, getting a lawyer. The judge will probably talk to you and take your wishes into consideration, but doesn't have to act on them if he/she believes you'd be better off staying put. Most judges understand that teens your age have feet and can just run away if forced to stay. You probably have a very good chance if your mother doesn't have anything in her background that can prove her unfit. This is also not to say that your fathers attorney can't tie this up in court for a very long time as well...and you'll be 18 in less then 2 years anyway. You best bet is wait until you hear from your mother after she has had a consult with her lawyer. It's not going to be cheap by the way. If she can't afford she need to do research and learn how to file a modification of custody & support on her own, pro se. She will of course, have to file her motion in West VA.
Good Luck!
KAT

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">