• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

domesic battery/female

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

U

unemployed nurse

After calling the police on my husband one night for pinning me on the ground we were both arrested.We were OFFERED pretrial intervention (domestic violence counseling)and the charges would be dropped.This was done.I since became a nurse and worked at two nursing homes.I recently applied at one and was denied a job because of the background check and that arrest.Is pretrial intervention an admission of guilt? I did not plead guilty.My husband even told the states attorney after completing the PTI that I really was just defending myself. The arresting officers even said that we just needed some counceling.Everything was calm by the time they arrived and they said they were required by law to make an arrest.(Florida) No alcohol or drugs involved. I have never been arrested before (or since).The arresting officer told me he was having problems with his wife and counceling helped(just my luck!) I applied to have the record expunged and the states attorney signed in agreement. Will this be completely erased from the next background check? Will I be able to go back to work? I would like to just forget the whole humiliating experience. One night in Hernando County jail means stripped,sprayed down with pesticide and showered off and legs shackled together. I was told that arrest "regardless of adjudication" was the reason I was denied according to federal guidelines. Please give me some advice.

A

Attorney_Replogle

The bottom line is that you will have to speak with an employment law attorney near you about this. You seem to have applied for a federal job, or one that uses some sort of federal guidelines to determine suitability for hiring. An expungement of a minor criminal matter rarely has any effect on the fact of the arrest. That is due to the fact that the police maintain their own database separate from the courts. Hence, the effect of that federal guideline you quoted. You can find an attorney at attorneypages

------------------
Mark B. Replogle

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">