• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Terminated because of sick time/Illness

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nikeeta

I WAS RECENTLY TERMINATED DUE TO AN ILLNESS/SICK TIME ABUSE THAT DID KEEP ME IN AND OUT OF WORK. I WAS EMPLOYED AT THE SAME PLACE FOR ABOUT 4 YEARS AND FOR THE LAST 3 I HAVE SUFFERED FROM TINNITUS/MENIERE'S (CHRONIC RINGING IN THE EAR/DIZZINESS). MY WORK AS AN INSTALLER DID NOT SUFFER, I MANAGED TO WORK WITH THE PROBLEMS, ALTHOUGH SOME DAYS WERE NOT AS GOOD AS OTHERS BUT MISSING WORK ON AND OFF KIND OF MADE SCHEDULING A LITTLE ROUGH, ACCORDING TO MY FORMER EMPLOYER. DOES THIS FALL INTO WRONGFUL TERMINATION IN ANY WAY? OR DISCIMINATION DUE TO BEING FIRED BECAUSE OF A MEDICAL CONDITION?

A

Attorney_Replogle

As a California employment law attorney I have represented only the employees such as you. Based on what you have said, and given my tendency to vote for the employee, I would have to say that in this instance I would say that the employer's termination was lawful. The reason is that they had worked with your problems for 3 years, which seems to me to be making a reasonable accommodation. Whether they legally should have done more, I am not sure. You should certainly speak with an employment law attorney near you about the matter. You can find one at attorneypages

------------------
Mark B. Replogle

[This message has been edited by Attorney_Replogle (edited March 11, 2000).]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">