• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can they do this

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mrkw900

can they take money from my settlement to pay a fine that they got and not me.they was fined on the audit.for how i know i was not fined i called fedral dot here in idaho.they said just the co.was fined and not me.

E

Ex Hr Guy

Hold it -- who is the THEY that took the money -- the federal government that levied the fine, or the firm to make the responsible party pay it? Or are you a principal owner or shareholder of the business?

M

mrkw900

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ex Hr Guy:
Hold it -- who is the THEY that took the money -- the federal government that levied the fine, or the firm to make the responsible party pay it? Or are you a principal owner or shareholder of the business?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

M

mrkw900

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ex Hr Guy:
Hold it -- who is the THEY that took the money -- the federal government that levied the fine, or the firm to make the responsible party pay it? Or are you a principal owner or shareholder of the business?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
no i'm not a shareholder but there never has been a righten contract between us and the comp.but the feds said they was not a law in forcment agencey.and it was the comp.fine and not mine it was the comp.that took the money out of my settlement to pay it to the feds for there fine.

A

Attorney_Replogle

No the company has no right to take money out of your paycheck to pay for a fine imposed on the company. Even if you were the driver at the time, the Department of Transportation chose not to fine you but the company instead. Furthermore, what the employer did should only be allowed if there is something in your employment agreement or company policy that allows it to happen. So I would say you should speak with an employment law attorney near you about this matter right away. You can find one at attorneypages. The issue is not just the company unlawfully taking your money, but that tactic of theirs is likely to also have serious ramifications as far as state and federal law, including the IRS.

------------------
Mark B. Replogle

[This message has been edited by Attorney_Replogle (edited March 11, 2000).]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">