• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bonus Payout

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I left my employer of over 6 years in February. They had a annual bonus that went from 1/1/99 through 12/31/99. Upon my departure and several others, my employer told me I would not receive the annual bonus since I would not be employed by them at time of payout. They showed me a clause in their doctrine which I had never seen before nor ever signed.
Can I sue? The money is substantial to me.

E

Ex Hr Guy

If the bonus was contractual and earned, and the "leave and lose" policy was not set out in the plan at the time you earned it, you would have a legal right to recover. If you just didn't read it, that's not a reason for the employer to give it to you.

You also can ask the State Department of Labor if the state allows a leave and you lose it policy.

A

Attorney_Replogle

Please also go speak with an employment law attorney near you. You can find one at attorneypages.

------------------
Mark B. Replogle

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">