• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this legal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Marie_bcardi

I was fired from my management postion with no notice and no documentation that i am aware of. I have requested documentation for almost a year and have received nothing.
I am a nurse manager and was fired on return from a vacation due to numerous complaints from the staff in regards to my management style and also for making derogatory comments about the upper manament person. I was never allowed to speak with my accusers. I had been counselled in Jan.'99 in regards to my 'style' and in Mar.'99 was told I had made great strides in improving my 'people skills'. At no time during any of these sessions was I told my job was in jeopardy and termination was at risk!
At the time of my 'involutary termination meeting' I did offer to step down from my managment postion and if this was not possible I would be willing to transfer to a sister clinic in the area. Both these options were refused and I had no choice except to resign my position or be fired immmediately. There was no compensation given ( I had been wih the company/facility for 7 years).
In that Florida is a 'right to work state' can this be done with no consequences to the employer and only hardship to the former emploee???

ALawyer

I do not know Florida law, but if there was no discrimination on the basis of age, sex, race, religion, national origin, etc., absent an employment contract (or a policy that is the same thing, check your employee handbook), or a union, you were probably an employee at will and entitled to no notice or anything else in most states. But sometimes a lawyer's letter can get all sorts of results, as they may have been discriminating against you and afraid of litigation.

------------------
This is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You are not my client, and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer, go to http://AttorneyPages.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">