• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Minister's Rights on the Job

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Don

I live in southern Illinois. For the past 4 and a 1/2 years I have been the pastor of a small church there, for which I receive no salary or other compensation. For 21 years I have worked a full time job at a manufacturer of kitchen ranges (they know I am a minister and pastor). I am paid on an incentive plan and do not receive a set hourly wage. The company restricts calls received by employees to personal family emergency only. I keep a cell phone in my lunch box at my work station for the members of my congregation to contact me in case they have an emergency situation in which they feel they need to contact their pastor. I have informed them this is only for emergencies. Recently our employer has issued a new handbook that states cell phones are no longer permitted in the facility. My question is as a minister, not on a set hour pay, do I have a right to have a cell phone to be available to my congregation?

A

Attorney_Replogle

No you don't have any special rights as a pastor/minister. The company policy would apply to all equally. This rule does not violate the federal laws that prohibit discrimination on the basis of religion. Having a cell phone is not a central tenant of Christianity. Nonetheless, you can ask them to make a reasonable accommodation for your needs. You have nothing to lose.

------------------
Mark B. Replogle

[This message has been edited by Attorney_Replogle (edited April 11, 2000).]

R

Rob813

Mark,

The minister was looking for some legal advice, not your personal commentary. I find your reply totally unprofessional and I think you owe this guy an apology.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">