• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

final paycheck withheld

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

penny

On 2/15 I resigned from a job and they asked me to leave immediately (for which I was grateful). Last week they finally gave me a paycheck for the week they had initially withheld - however it was for the wrong amount AND they still have not paid me for the final 2 days of employment. They said very vaguely that they are investigating whether I violated their email policy and I have to call back for updates. Their email policy seemed to be the standard one I've seen in other companies. Although no one has specifically explained to me what is being investigated, I did send some personal email while employed there so they may find me in violation. However, I'm no longer employed and none of this was raised as an issue while I worked there. The policy says that violation may result in disciplinary action, termination or civil or criminal action. I would like to report them to the State Labor Dept for witholding my $$ but am afraid they will retaliate. Advice?

A

Attorney_Replogle

The employer was to pay you your final paycheck within 72 hours of your last day. This failure to pay your wages may be a violation of the Fair Labor Standards Act. Don't worry about any retribution they may take against you. Rather, report this violation to your state labor commissioner and they can help you with this problem.

------------------
Mark B. Replogle

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">