• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contract Problems

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I have been a consultant for six years and I now wish to leave the company; the company has severely reduced my workload so that I am not even working four hours a month. According to the contract of employment, it states that I cannot do any kind of work related to my consulting work for one year after my resignation or termination; I also cannot work for any of the company's clients, although the company will not give me a listing of who their clients are. This is my livlihood and I need to be able to earn a living; please advise.

Please respond to: [email protected]
Thank you.

A

Attorney_Replogle

Non-compete clauses are common, yet they usually have a geographical limitation in them. You fail to mention this aspect, which can be your saving grace. That is to say, an employer can't prohibit you from working anywhere in the world in that occupation for a certain duration (say a year). No court would uphold that.

------------------
Mark B. Replogle

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">