• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How strong is a verbal contract?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

Peter_V

Long time listener, first time poster.. :)

I have a few questions, hopefully someone can help me out here..

First off, a couple of months back, was hired by an international public relations firm out of its Los Angeles office.

I flew out on my own coin, did the interview and was offered a job on the spot, worked out the money and the moving expense issues, etc.

When I returned home, I gave my notice, however just remembered about getting a 'contract' to protect me just in case something should happen.. So I contacted the person that hired me and her response was to put my moving expenses together and then it would all be done up.

After about 2 weeks, I finally put it all together and asked how this company would like me to transmit my moving expenses and I received an e-mail stating that they had 'tried to get in touch with me with no success' because they basically no longer had a job opening (in not so few words). Naturally they had my contact information, however nothing was received at my home email/tel (a former employee of mine at my former job had my email forwarded to him after I had left, as well as my calls.. nothing was received by him).

I collected all former email correspondence on this issue, however the ONE email which proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that I was 'hired' by this company prior to being shut out by them via verbal contract, mysteriously vanished from my former mail program. All correspondence remained however, incidentally.

I guess what I am getting at, because I've tried every avenue on my end to retrive that email, is how strong can a verbal contract be? ..Especially for purposes of looking for compensation, since I had left my previous job for the one I supposedly had, only to lose that unexpectedly with little/no reason a day before I was making my flight/moving commitments :).

Any help with this would be outstanding :)

Thank you much

-Peter Voelzke

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">