• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have to sign Termination Contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

KP

I resigned a week ago, and my last day is suppose to be in a couple of weeks. My emplorer vaguely made mention of a Termination contract that I am suppose to sign at an exit meeting on my last day.

A note. When I began employment with this employeer some 3 years ago, I was faxed a "Employee Patent and Confidential Information Agreement" that stated that I must sign the termination certificate. However, after being employeed for some time, I realize as I was going through some documents that this was never actually signed and returned back to my employeer.

Another note: This is a separate agreement from that of my other question submitted just 15 minutes prior to this one. The other question was a contract for stock options. This question is whether or not I have to sign the termination certificate, and what kind of penalties could be imposed?

Can I refuse to sign this if I don't agree with some of the wording? If I refuse, what can they do to me?

Can they refuse to pay my last paycheck, or withhold some travel reimbursements that they owe me?

Thanks
KP

M

msattorney

What is in this termination agreement that you do not want to sign? While the initial agreement was not signed, it can be implied that you agreed to it because you are working there. If you are uncomfortable with the termination agreement, get an attorney to review it before you sign it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">