• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

does he still need to get a divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

je2817

What is the name of your state? texas

i am currently living with my boyfriend and plan to get married. however he use to live with someone about 3 years ago, and at one point filed their taxes togerther they were know as a married couple. two years ago they filed for child support and the question about them needing a divorce was brought up. the lawyer told my boyfriend that she had a year to contest thier marriage but she never did. now two years have past and we want to get married, can we go ahead and get married without any problems and me being his legal wife?

HomeGuru

je2817 said:
What is the name of your state? texas

i am currently living with my boyfriend and plan to get married. however he use to live with someone about 3 years ago, and at one point filed their taxes togerther they were know as a married couple. two years ago they filed for child support and the question about them needing a divorce was brought up. the lawyer told my boyfriend that she had a year to contest thier marriage but she never did. now two years have past and we want to get married, can we go ahead and get married without any problems and me being his legal wife?
**A: was he ever legally married before? If so, what is the status of his divorce, if any?

J

je2817

no they never got married. its not untill now almost four years later that she is claming that they are married by common law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">