• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Requesting a Master's Hearing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tdtuck70

Pa. I'm divorcing my wife of three years. I'm at the point of equiltable distribution of property. My lawyer was in the process of requesting a master's hearing because my wife has not responded to our settlement request. My lawyer left the firm and the firm does not have any lawyers who handle family law.

I would like to know if I can request the hearing prior to hiring a lawyer. State of residence - Pa. thanks for your response.

A

annefan1000

I'm from Pa. with some knowledge of the rules regarding Divorce.

It appears that you are still in the negotiating stages of your divorce (child support/child custody/equitable distribution/etc).
How unfortunate that you were left midway attorney-less. However, you can finish the job on your own, with proper knowledge. Of course, depending on the complexity of your situation, you may just want to call the Bar Association in your county and request a Family Law attorney referral, especially if you filed anything other than a 3301(d) divorce petition (no fault). 3301 (a) (b) and (c) divorces are messy and complicated. If you choose to try this on your own, there is a website to give you knowledge of Pennsylvania Rules of Civil Procedure. http://members.aol.com/RulesPA/Civil.html

There are multiple steps you must go through within the court system. If you are going to represent yourself, then the first thing you need to do is file a Motion of Entry of Appearance (removing your attorney from the case) and another Motion of Entry of Appearance (entering yourself as Pro Se on your case). After you file these documents with the court, you can then file a Request for a Masters Hearing. The prothonotary at your county courthouse will be able to lead you to their law library, where you will find forms you need to use (and photocopy use).

Good luck to you.

T

tdtuck70

I'm from Pa. Thanks!

I was able to draft my own papers and file my papers in the county office. I do have a sense of this situation and the ability to file the neccesary documents, I just needed some direction and advice.

My lawyer has already completed a Motion of Entry of Appearance in her behalf. I will proceed to the library to gather the document to enter myself as Pro Se on my behalf, and to get the Request for Master's Hearing document.

I will keep you abreast of my situation. Once again, thank you very much.

Very satisfied!

:)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">