• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Life Insurance Benifits after divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dougw

This message pertains to Ohio Revised Code: § 1339.63 Termination of marriage revokes designation of spouse as beneficiary of death benefits; immunity.

My sister's divorce was finalized this spring. Part of the divorce decree was that she be named as primary benificary and owner of the policy. Their child was secondary benificary. Less than 2 weeks after the divorce, her now ex-husband died. His parents filed suit with the insurance company under the above statute stating that my sister should be removed from the benificary list. Prior to the divorce, she was the primary benificary, but was labeled spouse...after the divorce she was no longer the spouse.

My question is 2 fold...I heard that this ruling was overturned but it wasn't clear if the law was overturned or simply the case that challanged the law. So is this still an active statute in Ohio? If so, is there anything that my sister can do to get access to the money? The ex-In-Laws are pushing for the money to be deposited in a trust for the child when he turns 18...He is currently 6.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">