• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

garnished?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

gaffier

Arizona

I just got a notice in the mail that a previous debt of mine is going to be garnished out of my wages. The company that they list it to be garnished from is a company that I haven't worked for in over a month. What happens now? I know I don't have near enough money to pay off the debt and wouldn't even have enough to begin to pay on it for another 2 months. I'm at a total loss.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

gaffier said:
Arizona

I just got a notice in the mail that a previous debt of mine is going to be garnished out of my wages. The company that they list it to be garnished from is a company that I haven't worked for in over a month. What happens now? I know I don't have near enough money to pay off the debt and wouldn't even have enough to begin to pay on it for another 2 months. I'm at a total loss.

My response:

When the Sheriff discovers from your former employer that you no longer work at the company, the papers will be returned to the lawyer. Then, the lawyer will serve you with "debtor's" discovery documents, and then have you Subpoenaed to appear in court for a "Debtors Hearing."

Good luck.

IAAL

G

gaffier

consolidation

I just signed up to a debt consolidation company that is going to be sending them regular payments monthly. How will this effect the case?

JETX

If that particular debtor accepts the offer from the debt consolidator, it should stop any further attempts to enforce the judgment.
If they refuse to accept the offer, then they can do whatever the law allows to enforce the judgment.

And though your post only refers to this as being a 'debt', I assume that it is really a judgment due to the issue of wage garnishment (which is only possible from a judgment).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">