• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Old Employee

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JHALL380

What is the name of your state? GEORGIA

PREVIOUS EMPLOYEE WAS PAID ON CONTRACT BASIS DOING ACCOUNTING. THERE ARE A FEW CHECKS THAT CLEARED THE BANK THAT DON'T MATCH INFORMATION IN COMPUTER OR CHECK STUBS, BUT THE CHECKS WERE SIGNED BY ACCOUNT SIGNER AT BANK. WE'RE NOT SURE WHAT HAPPENED AND HAS BEEN ALMOST A YEAR OR SO THAT THESE CHECKS CLEARED BANK.

Last edited:

J

JHALL380

OLD EMPLOYEE

SHOULD I SUSPECT CHECK FRAUD OR DO I HAVE A LEG TO STAND ON?

Beth3

How can anyone here possibly advise you of that? Only an audit can lead you to conclude whether there was an error or if there was some impropriety going on.

You may want to do some of your own investigating such as reconciling any invoices with the check register, contacting vendors (or whomever the checks were written to) and asking if they rec'd payment and if so, for what, and so forth. I'm guessing you are a small enterprise so a good place to start may be talking to someone at your bank and asking for guidance. I expect they have helped other clients with similar problems.

J

JHALL380

Reply to Beth3

I guess I'm not making myself clear. These checks wer paid to contractor who worked for me. The cleared amount of the check is more than the duplicate copy of check. (she wrote checks to herself, but, were signed by authorized signer on account).

Beth3

Now you're clear. And that does ineed look bad. I understand that you're saying (for example), the duplicate copy of the check says $500 but the ACTUAL check that cleared was for $1,000. Hard to draw any other conclusion than some embezzlement was taking place at this point. And writing the checks to herself rather than to the contractor his highly suspect. Looks like she was paying him in cash and pocketing the difference.

I suggest you contact the police and then the bank, in that order.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">