• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Discrimination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

Patty

State of Florida
Female Employee Age 40

I have been working for this company for three years. I have worked in just about every department the company has. In Jan99 I was promoted to a management position. In May99 a new company bought us and grand fathered everyone in. In July99 I was informed that my position was being given to a male employee. I was asked to train him and introduce him to my contacts. No explanation was given as to this course of action.

I was told that a new position would be found for me. I had also been told and it was documented that I was to have first consideration in any promotions.
It is now March2000 and I have yet to be given a job description. I have been forced into the position of Admin for a department manager.

I have questioned HR on several occasions and was warned that Florida is a work at will state and I should consider taking a position, which would in reality be a demotion. It is the first position I held when first going to work for this company.

I am the only woman working in this department and was the only woman working for the company before the merger.
I have been told that promotion is not in my foreseeable future.
The work environment is becoming very hostile. There is one other female employee working in another department and I was ordered not to speak to her by my employer, as he did not want me giving her any ideas. From what I gather she is not happy working for this company either.
What would you suggest?
Many Thanks
Patty

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Patty:
State of Florida
Female Employee Age 40

I have been working for this company for three years. I have worked in just about every department the company has. In Jan99 I was promoted to a management position. In May99 a new company bought us and grand fathered everyone in. In July99 I was informed that my position was being given to a male employee. I was asked to train him and introduce him to my contacts. No explanation was given as to this course of action.

I was told that a new position would be found for me. I had also been told and it was documented that I was to have first consideration in any promotions.
It is now March2000 and I have yet to be given a job description. I have been forced into the position of Admin for a department manager.

I have questioned HR on several occasions and was warned that Florida is a work at will state and I should consider taking a position, which would in reality be a demotion. It is the first position I held when first going to work for this company.

I am the only woman working in this department and was the only woman working for the company before the merger.
I have been told that promotion is not in my foreseeable future.
The work environment is becoming very hostile. There is one other female employee working in another department and I was ordered not to speak to her by my employer, as he did not want me giving her any ideas. From what I gather she is not happy working for this company either.
What would you suggest?
Many Thanks
Patty
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

If your facts are accurate, I tend to agree with you. It is unfair what they have done to you. Selective punishment is wrong and illegal. Therefore, the following is the same in Florida as it is in the rest of the country: I believe you should fill out the "easy" complaint form you can get from the Federal Fair Employment and Housing Administration, and have them investigate the matter. They are quite good, and fast, at what they do. Look them up in the Federal section of your White Pages (toward the beginning of the book). Then, once you get your "right to sue" letter from them, get to an employment attorney and have at 'em !!

Good luck to you.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">