• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my employer stop me from growing a beard???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

clean-shaven

Hello,

I've got a question that I need help with. First of all I'll tell you that I'm in Iowa as I know that laws vary from state to state. I'll try to keep this brief, although I'd like to give you as much background as possible so you are informed before giving me an answer. Also know that we are a non-union plant!!

I work for a food industry plant and the bosses have always been against us growing a beard. We already wear hairnets and we've offered to wear beard-nets and they won't hear any thing of it. The only time they've ever allowed beards to be grown was during the local town's centenial celebration. We are the only one of our companie's plants that has this rule in effect. All the others allow beards if covered.

Two years ago while serving on the employee's Grievance Committee I challenged this rule and was shot down (with no explanation) at the local level. I took it to our regional office and told our problem to the employee relations person. I said this rule sounded like discrimination and that it was evidently a personal thing with the bosses. She agreed and stated that she thought I was correct seeing as how the other plants allowed it. She brought it to the attention of her boss and said that he would be visiting with my boss about getting this straightened out. About a week later my boss approached me and said quite frankly that the rule was going to stick and there wasn't a thing that we could do about it.

At that time there was a policy in our employee handbook that stated that employees would remain clean shaven. Last year, I believe in July, they issued new handbooks and there is nothing in the new book that says anything about shaving or not allowing beards. Today I again brought the subject up with my boss and was immediately turned down. No explanations, no nothing, just NO "we" won't allow it.

My questions are this. Is this a case of discrimination? Do they have the right to terminate my job if I go against them since there is no longer a policy? And lastly, how do I go about getting this changed without jeopardizing my employment?

In closing I'll add that I'm thought of as a very valued employee and not just someone trying to cause trouble. I do however think I've got a legitimate complaint, and along with several other employees, think it's unjust and discriminatory!

Thank you for letting me bring my problem to light and I sincerely hope that you can give me a couple answers or some quality advice. I can't afford to lose my job over this and can't really aford to hire a lawyer for legal advice.

Thank you!!!

A

Attorney_Replogle

The bottom line is that your employer is not unlawfully discriminating against the men by instituting the policy you write about. So, your only remedy is to continue lobbying for a change as you have been doing.

------------------
Mark B. Replogle

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">