• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What should I bring to court?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Lauralee22

What is the name of your state? Maryland, however court will be held in WEST VIRGINIA.

My sister vandalized my car (I witnessed it, but only other witness is another sibling that will lie), causing $2000.00 worth of damage. The incident took place in her state of West Virginia and I have filed suit in that state asking for $1000.00 in damages - $100 for the insurance deductible I had to pay after filing a claim with my auto insurance + $900 ($25 x 36 months)...the amount my insurance was increased because of the claim. (The claim stays on my record for 36 months).

I have photographs of the damage done to the car, along with a receipt from the body shop showing the total damage done (and my $100 deductible payment) and a copy of my insurance claim. Since I will be losing a day of work and driving 6 hours out of state for this court hearing I want to make sure I have everything I need and am prepared. Is there anything else I should bring? Anything else I should do?

Thanks! Court is 8/23

BTW - decided not to file police report, just civil

stephenk

Bring everything you described in your post - photos, estimates, proof of payment for repairs to your car, your insurance billing statement showing the increased rates, any letter your insurance sent you indicating the increase rates and how long the increase would last.

good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">