• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal action

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Btjean

I need to know if a company can sue u if u have a out standing bill with them. I got a letter from caldor that went out of business and they sent me a lawyer letter saying I will be arrested if I don not pay the balance of the bill. Can this be done? I need to know cause I have never been arrested in my life and I never heard of such a thing. Can someone help me?

racer72

You cannot be arrested. If that is what the letter truly states, contact your state attorney generals office. Demand for payment letters cannot state possible actions if those actions cannot happen. But, just because the business is no longer operating does not mean the debt is not valid. You can be sued for the debt, and wage garnishments, bank account attachments and even possible seizure of property can happen. But you cannot be arrested.

R

rhargrove

no you can not be arrested.if i were you i would take that letter and file a claim with small claim court and sue them they are in violation with the FDCPA section 807 you can get a quick 1000.00

Collector cannot claim to garnish your wages, seize property or have you arrested *** Consumer protection afforded by the FDCPA FDCPA Section 807 $1000

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">