• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Steps to Garnish Wages

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

FFR

What is the name of your state? FLORIDA

I have a judgment that has been assigned to me for collection. I have verified employment on the debtor and am ready to garnish wages. I have reviewed the FL statutes and am confused by the legalese. What is a "writ"? Can someone explain to me in layman's terms what the steps are to garnish wages?

I truly appreciate any assistance/advice given. :)

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

FFR said:
What is the name of your state? FLORIDA

I have a judgment that has been assigned to me for collection. I have verified employment on the debtor and am ready to garnish wages. I have reviewed the FL statutes and am confused by the legalese. What is a "writ"? Can someone explain to me in layman's terms what the steps are to garnish wages?

I truly appreciate any assistance/advice given. :)

My response:

Buy a book on the subject at Barnes & Noble bookstore. There are entire chapters on Garnishments and Writs of Execution, and the procedures for collecting judgments.

IAAL

JETX

In addition to IAAL's accurate advice, I offer the following:

Though wage garnishment is allowed in Florida, it is seldom reasonable due to the exemptions allowed. For example, 100% of earnings are exempt if the debtor is a head of household (does he/she have children, sorry!). Also, if not a head of household, the federal exemption applies: "exempts from garnishment 75% of disposable earnings per week,
or an amount = to 30 x federal minimum hourly wage, whichever is greater."

Simply, these liberal exemptions really make it unpractical to pursue wage garnishment in FL.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">