• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

divorcing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

my3boyz

Can the kids and i stay in marital home?

What is the name of your state? Illinois
I have been married for almost 5 yrs. and have 3 small children. My question concerns our residence. We have lived here with our 3 children for almost 2 years. It was his grandmothers home, and we took care of her the last 6 months of her life. She passed away last year in June. She left the house to my husband. We took out a mortgage a month ago to pay off debts for the estate so that we could get the house, or else it would have been sold to pay the debts of the estate. Both our names are on the mortgage, and the house was to be put in both names. In addition to adultry, I have now found out that he told the attorneys not to quick claim it into joint ownership--to keep it just in his name.

I do not want ownership of the home, fully or partially, but rather want to be able to live there till the children are older, and I get my college degree, so that I can then support them in a manor they are used to. (about 3 years) Can the courts order this, considering that my name is not on the title? (Yes i am a sucker to believe that he had my name put on the title too!)
Any help would be appreciated

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">