• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Resignation, pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jam

I live in Massachusetts and discussed with the new Chief Operating Officer of my former organization about resigning to pursue other career opportunities in February.She offered me pay through the beginning of March if I immediately resigned so that I would still be eligible for benefits through the month. We each signed an agreement stating I would receive pay if I resigned immediately. She was only there a short time and is no longer there and the President will not honor the agreement.

Also, my last paycheck came in the form of a bank check.The organization was in the process of switching banks at the time of payroll and the new account was not set up.I received a bank check in the amount of a months pay minus taxes as usual. I was told by this COO the payroll company had figured the paycheck amount with taxes withheld and the payroll company would send a statement of taxes withheld the following month. The President is not honoring this. If this payment is untaxed, I was not paid through the month as promised in this signed agreement but also am not paid the full amount of the days I actually worked.

The COO was employed with the organization for less than a month. Is this signed agreement valid despite the short length of time of her employment? Does the employer need to issue a statement of taxes withheld as I was not a contract employee or does he need to pay me the full amount tax free so that I may file a 1099 next year?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">