• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pre-existing condition

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Cassandra

I have Multiple Sclerosis. I would like to look for a new job. I've been told I can be denied health insurance. I would like to know if, from a legal stand point, I should disclose this information in an interview?
I don't feel it is the company's business but if they know ahead of time that I can not get health insurance, I would want to know before I quit my current job. Please reply. Thank you.

J

jd

I would not suggest that yo disclose specific medical information at an initiail interview - in fact, employers are not lalowed ot inquire into specific medical conditions which willnto impair you ability to perform the job duties for the position which you are applying for. Should you get an offer of employment, you may want to then discuss the medical insurance with the HR department prior to accepting the new position and prior to quitting your current position.

R

Rott14

I know that the company that I have worked for, for 14 years can't ask you about health questions during an interview, however after you are hired they can deny you from health insurance because of a pre-existing illness or condition. When I was hired, I was pregnant, they did not cover any of my bills, however the next 2 pregnancies they did. My friend that had been employed there for 5 years found out she had stomach cancer and they took care of her until the day she passed away. I don't know if this has anything to do with the state that you are in, or just the company itself and who they use as ther Health Insurance provider. Good luck to you

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">