• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please help me Husband keeps hiding out so I cant get my divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mvillanu

Upstate New York Please help me, I have been trying to obtain my divorce for the past 5 yrs, my husband keeps dodging me by moving from state to state, he has warrants out for his arrest which is the main reason why he keeps moving around, but its been 5 yrs, none of his family or friends will tell me where he is, they refuse to help me out. Its bad enough he wont pay his $15 dollar a week child support payment. I just want a lousy divorce, just last year i was told he has fathered another child in north carolina. Please someone help me, I have no money, I have medicaid and food stamps but yet he can roam free in georgia (which is where i was told by a spy friend of his family) and gets to drive around in a 98 camaro. But yet my son and I struggle just to keep the utilities on in our house. Can someone help me please. I am starting to get desperate! :(

K

knorris

I thought

That after one year you could get a divorce without the other person being contacted. have you spoke to an attorney? if you are have finacial problems you could get help from legal aid. Kathie :)

M

mvillanu

unfortunately not in NY you have to be able to serve them. And where I live I was told there was no legal aid society or probono attys :(

K

knorris

Well Darn.

That's all I can think of maybe someone will have an Ideal to share with you , Good Luck Kathie :)

jolida72

if you can locate him long enough to have uncontested divorce papers served on him you can get your divorce even if he doesn't sign them. go to your local county clerks office ( or print them online) and get an uncontested divorce package and do it yourself....it will cost approximatly $300 which is divided up into different fees so you don't have to have all the money up front. hope this helps.

Jeter

unfortunately not in NY you have to be able to serve them.
Sorry, but this is untrue. You do not have to serve him. First you must show a good faith attempt at locating him. This is what the court considers due diligence.

If he cannot then be found, you can ask the court to permit service by publication, which would be a classified ad in a newspaper selected by the court. The ad must be published three times. If there is no response you can then get your decree from the court declaring your marriage to be dissolved.

The default will only concern the resolution of the marriage - and not any ancillary issues such as equitable distribution or child support. I'm not sure if that's what you're going for. Your statement contradicts itself. You said in one part that you just want a lousy divorce, but throughout your statement you continually address the issue of finances. If you in fact just want to be divorced then this could be the way to go.

Jeter

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">