• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fired

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Rooster

I was given wrtten warning for two minor items that were listed on the warning as "errors in judgement" this warning allowed me 30 days in which to comply and "correct my behavior". The manner in which my employer approached me with this I felt was very unprofessional.I complained to our board or directors, not about my warning,but about the manner in which it was presented to me. 6 days later I was fired.I was not given a specific reason other than my boss felt it was time to "terminate our relationship"I was a faithful employee and complied with all reasonable requests made by my employer.My question is...was my employer legally bound to the 30 day time period that she herself specified on my written warning?If so,I would be entitled to 24 days pay. Would I be entitled to any additional compensation for the loss of my job, and possibly the ill effects this will have on my career within this field?What specific laws or statutes are there to back this up?

------------------

M

msattorney

Most employment relationships are characterized as "employment at will". In other words the employer can fire you without reason. The employer is required to give you the amount of notice normally used--2 weeks--by either allowing you to remain on the job or by paying you. if you believe that you were fired because you complained to the Board, then you may have grounds to argue about your firing. Present your side to the Board and put in writing your position to both the Board and to the HR department.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">