• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Silent abortion

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Lot_of_love

Hi. I was hoping that someone could help me out here, because this is really tough for me and my fiancee...

About a year ago, my fiancee took a pregnancy test, and we found out that she was pregnant. We were happy with the news, now mind you, we are still young, in our very late teens, and she still lives with her mother. My fiancee was put on diffrent kinds of medications to help with mental stability, and the doctor up'ed one of her perscriptions for no reason what so ever. We came to find out just last night that her mother talked with the doctor and asked him if he could up her medication for the perpose of giving my fiancee a miscarrage, which unfortunantly, she did miscarry. I now want to take legal action against her mom for the murder of mine and my fiancee's baby. I have a witness with the knowledge of the miscarrage, and is willing to stick up for us in court, but I know that is not enough. We are starting to call around to her doctors, to get proof that the increase in the medication was for an abortion. Is there anything else that I should know to put a case together? Am I missing anything? I would appriciate any kind of help from anyone possible.

Please anyone help us, me and my fincee are so distrought over this news, and we want to see her mother face the heat.

Thank you for your time everyone.

S

sanford64

First , this has nothing to do with Roe v. Wade. If someone acted without your girlfriends consent with the intent to cause harm to an unborn child, a crime has been committed.

Second, if you believe a crime has been committed you need to go to your local police or prosecutor. It is their job to gather evidence and determine if they can file charges against both her mother and the Doctor.

Since she was already on the medication, proving intent and cause will be difficult but that is the prosecutors job.

Last edited:

Jeter

IAAL is correct. You would have no legitimate cause of action under Roe vs. Wade. Your fiancee aborted the child, not your mother or the doctor. It would be nearly impossible to sue her mother for murder of an unborn child, as the statutes pertaining to that action relate to purposeful bodily injury by another party. You will have no chance at proving intent, either. Your only shot would be a full blown confession of premeditation on the part of the doctor. Then you may get 3rd degree manslaughter if the judge had a little too much to drink. This may sound a bit harsh, but your fiancee showed irresponsibility on all acounts. After becoming another teen pregnancy statistic she blindly takes multiple forms of medication while pregnant and doesn't have the capacity to fear miscarriage from overmedicating. She is as much to blame for negligence as her mother. She aborted her child. No case.

Jeter

L

Lot_of_love

It wasn't her fault

The whole thing was done behind my fincee's back. The medication wasn't supposed to harm the pregnancy, but if it was increased, it would cause a miscarrage. Her mom knew this and up'ed it on perpouse. My fincee had no knowledge that the increase in medication would have a terrible reaction. We are working on getting a confession and some dates to match up from the doctor. I know there has to be something we can do.

Lot_of_love

stephenk

Who is the source of your information that the mom and doctor worked together to kill the fetus? Did her mother confess to you or your girlfriend that she told the doctor to up the medication to a level that would cause a miscarriage?

If the doctor has a legitimate reason for upping the medication, you may be out of luck on intent to kill.

stephenk

how many weeks/months was she pregnant at the time of the miscarriage? Did she go to the hospital when it happened? I ask because your post says you have a witness to the miscarriage but no mention if that person is a doctor or nurse.

L

Lot_of_love

the witness

Since the whole thing has happened, she has moved of of her mother's and in with her sister and her fiancee. Her sister's fiancee sat down and talked with her mother for a couple of hours to try to figure things out, and she mentioned to him that she up'ed the medication on purpouse as a form of contraceptive. She didn't enlighten him to the fact that my fiancee was pregnant when she did that. When my fiancee sat down and talked with him the other night, he mentioned what her mom had said, and she was able to confirm a date, and broke down, realising what had happened. Her mom basically slipped with the information. I hope this helps a little. Thank you for your time.

Lot_of_love

Beth3

Wait a minute. Something makes absolutely no sense here.

Unless this doctor is "quack of the year," I can't believe he would have prescribed ANY medication for your fiance that would could have harmed a fetus or caused a miscarriage without determining whether or not she may have been pregant. Additonally, unless this doctor has completely disregarded his medical ethics and is choosing to engage in criminal activity, he would NOT have colluded with the girl's mother to abort her fetus.

Personally, I think your fiance's mother (or somebody in the family) is totally playing head games with you and your fiance. But if you really believe a crime has been committed, then you need to go to the police or district attorney's office and tell them what happened. They will investigate and determine if there is any basis to prosecute.

T

TeeK58

beth3

Finally, a voice of reason. I also cannot believe that any doctor would prescribe medication at a mothers' request to abort a fetus. First of all, it would be illegal, unethical, and would go against what being a doctor stands for. I doubt any doctor would risk jail, and losing his license, to do a favor for a mother that didn' t want her daughter pregnant. you also state that the medication wasn't supposed to harm the pregnancy, but if increased, would cause a miscarriage. If an increase in the medication would cause miscarriage, wouldn't you think that that particular medication wouldn't be safe for the unborn child???? There are many prescription drugs that should not be taken if you are pregnant, especially drugs for "mental stability" as you say. Your girlfriend should have told the doctor she was pregnant right away, and asked him/her what medications she was taking that could be harmful to her baby. If you feel that her mother purposely gave her an increase in medication for the sole purpose of having a miscarriage, then look into it, but I think it is going to be extremely hard to prove it, unless the mother makes a confession. Good Luck

L

loserrr

lot of love......

Forgetaboutit!

You are a teenager, she is a mental patient, the chance of a deformed and costly to society baby is multiplied by the numer of medications she takes.

She needs to confront the fact that being a mother is NOT A WISE DECISION to make at any age.

And you should support her decision TO BE CHILDLESS.

You should go to school get a REAL education and be a MAN and get a good paying job

L

LINKINPARKSGIRL

I cannot believe there are such cold callous people in this world, I guess that nobody really comprehends regardless of the ages of the parents that a life was taken, and why is it so hard to comprehend that a doctor would do something like this especially if he had the same opinions as the people on this board???? I was 15 when I got pregnant and 16 when I had my daughter and guess what ??? i am still with the father and I not only own two businesses i also am a certified home health aide and a Certified medical assistant, so for people to use age is ridiculous. as for here mental faculties obviously she was not neglecting herself, she was doing what she believed would help her condition, so she killed her baby because she trusted her mother and her doctor?and obviously the mother knew she was pregnant ande the doctor would have had to too in order for them to increase the medication, again it is not her responsibilty to find out what medication is safe it was the doctors,
but to the poster of this thead : the baby is gone there is nothing that you can do about that, if she is mentally unstable then i would suggest that you and her just deal with the emotional impact it has on you and her and move on with your lives, dont worry about the legal issues because all you are doing is pouring salt in the wounds......... good luck

T

TeeK58

LINKINPARKSGIRL

It is hard for people to believe that any doctor would prescribe medication for the sole purpose of aborting a fetus. If he was caught, he would lose his license and go to jail. I doubt he would risk that to do a favor for a mother that didn't want her daughter to have a child. It is ludicrous. You also say that it was the doctors responsibility to know what meds would harm the baby?????Are you serious?? Are you saying that every time you go to see a dr., you let yourself be completely at his/her mercy??? You never ask any questions about medications, treatments??? That is also ridiculous. Dr's are not Gods, they are human beings, and sometimes they can make mistakes. YOU are responsible for YOURSELF. It is your own responsibility to find out what you are taking, the side effects it may cause, and if you are pregnant, definately, find out if that medication has any negative side effects to the unborn baby.
As for your situation, you are the exception. Not many people can say that the father stayed around, or that they finished school, or that they have a profession, (not a job, a profession) I am glad that you made it. Not every girl is that lucky. I also had a child when I was young, 20, and I am still with the father. We have been together for 13 years, and are very happy. But like I said, it doesn't happen like that for everyone.

L

LINKINPARKSGIRL

i can respect what you said and no it doesnt happen like that always. you are absolutely right about that but for loserr to say what he said was un nessesary in any case. I have to disagree about the doctors liability. I personally know of alot of doctors that will go against their code of ethics to line their pockets. and being that you were a young mother you could understand this example what if it was your daughter and you really truly believed that she was too young, or too unstable or just hated the boy she was with would you do it? normal people wouldnt but its not too far fetched, and as far as the doctor? could be a family friend, known them for years, doesnt want to see the young girls life go down the tubes, so he does it to help her in his opinion.. and do you know how hard it is for a mentally unstable person to prove that something has been wrong to them, that they will be even taken seriously without mounds of evidence? society wouldnt take their word " their crazy" espiecally in this day and age, i truly believe the possibility that these teens are telling the truth....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">