• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

allegations of stealing satellite signals from DirectV

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

resipsa

What is the name of your state? CA

This is interesting. A friend of mine recently received a letter from DirectV demaning restitution to the tune of $3,500 for interception of satellite signals from DirectV. We all thought it was smart scam. However, it is very real.

DTV was alerted to this person through his online credit card purchase of an H-card. Based on this information, DTV is alleging that my friend is stealing cable since he possesses an H-card and this is the main purpose of H-cards. (It is not however)

My friends' opinions:
DTV has no way to prove intent other than impliedly through the statute. We figured the way they would do this is by others that have responded to this letter (this circulation was so huge that there is a dedicated forum discussing only this SM)...to pay restitution or whatever and sign an agreement. This agreement probably says that the new purpose of the H-cards is for stealing signals...whereby establishing "main purpose" and "intent."

Recipients of the letter would probably pay rather than retain costly IP counsel...so DTV will now obtain evidence that it initially did not have.

As always I look forward to responses for Racer72 and IAAL...

Thanks

http://www.geocities.com/rriill2002/directv1.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/rriill2002/directv2.jpg

Last edited:

stephenk

How did DTV find out your friend purchased the H-card? Did your friend already have DTV hooked up when he purchased the H-card?

R

resipsa

thanks for your response...

DTV found about the purchase through the website from which the card was ordered. Apparently all those who had purchased cards from this site were given this notice.

To answer your second question, he purchased the card separately from this site which did not mention the card as being a device with which to steal signals.

Thanks

T

TeeK58

Does your friend have a direct tv system hooked up in his house?? If he doesn't it would be hard to steal a signal.

R

resipsa

No he does not have DTV in his house....

DTV demands are based on the mere fact that he purchased an H-card from the website...

Thanks

racer72

I contacted my states attorney generals office for information about DTV and thier efforts against signal piracy. They are fully supporting the efforts of DTV to stop piracy. The AG's office of your state is probably doing the same. My states AG office has 4 complaints about DTV and the efforts to collect from folks for signal piracy. They have found that DTV had done nothing wrong and they are fully within thier rights to seek reparations.

Of course, the first question is, why did your friend buy an "H card" if they do not have a DTV reciever? I would be willing to guess it was not because it makes a neat wall hanging. H cards are good for only one thing, to use in DTV recievers to watch satellite television. Interesting concept, isn't it?

Also, did you know that most sites selling these cards willingly offer the sales information to DTV? DTV pays them very well for the info. If the purchaser is a current subscriber, no problem. Not a subscriber, big problem.

I am going on the assumption that no one buys these cards just to look at them. I would suggest your friend talk to a lawyer. DTV is going to come down hard on him.

R

resipsa

Thanks Racer72,

I really appreciate your research and efforts. Although I don't know much about networking and computers....I have spoken with several friends who are. They have told me that H-cards are used mainly for carving security keys. For instance, they are engraved with an authorized user's info and access code typically used at databases where employees are privy confidential information. This keeps unauthorized users from working at others' terminals.

I really do respect your wisdom and do not mean to question your knowledge...but...
If the sole purpose of an H card was to steal satellite signals, wouldn't the distributors and manufacturers face accomplice liability as well? In this case, would the AG still need to pay for buyers' information instead of obtaining it through discovery?

I humbly await your response and I thank you in advance.

Thanks again

Last edited:
V

Vicinep

So did your friend reply to the letter he received from the dtv?

R

resipsa

no, he called them

He has already retained an attorney...

Thanks for the reply

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">