• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grounds for civil action?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JJ

I am an appointed department head in a municipal government. My direct supervisor is the city manager. Last year, when my evaluation was due, the manager (female) confronted me with an allegation from a city council member (also female) that I somehow discriminate against females. No specifics were given, only that I had "a problem" dealing with women.

Last week I was told that one of my subordinates, a supervisor, had told her hairdresser that I discriminate against women because of my ethnicity (Eastern European). This was relayed to me by another employee who uses the same hairdresser.

My concern is that the insinuation that I somehow am discriminatory towards females is becoming commonplace, even to the extent that my employees are beginning to hear and spread it.

I know that my public position gives people some latitude in "taking shots" at me, but if city council members are telling my supervisor and my employees are talking about this perception, my career could be permanently damaged.

For the record, I have employed more females at this agency than anyone before me.

M

msattorney

Are there reasons that these kind of things are being said about you. I would contact the HR department for your town to try to get this to stop. If this doesn't work, then you might seek legal assistance from an attorney well versed in employment and sexual harassment issues. You need to protect yourself before worst things are said or a suit is brought against you and the city.

J

jj

Originally posted by msattorney:
Are there reasons that these kind of things are being said about you.

I really have no idea how this got started. I have strived to treat everyone fairly and tried not to play favorites. No specific incidents have been brought to my attention; only innuendo that my conduct is not friendly towards females.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">