• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

company vehicles

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

stress32

I work in WV for a company that installs and services security systems. The service area covered is most of our state and parts of three other states. The service technicians are provided company vehicles which they drive home after work. These vehicles cannot be used for personal use. Employees are expected to be on site for their first call (which could be as much as a 3 or 4 hour drive)at 8am and at their last call at 4:30pm, no matter how far from home this may be. The company maintains the employee will only be paid for 8 hours (1/2 hour lunch break)with no compensation for travel time, which could run into several hours a day. I think that is unreasonable. I also think that since employees must adhere to company rules while driving these vehicles, and they cannot be used for personal reasons, then employees should be paid from the time they get in the vehicle until they park it after the work day. Am I totally off base?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">